Do you plan to stay in Australia once you finish your studies?
Learn about the post-study work permit in Australia, what it comprises, who is eligible, and how to apply for one. Every student who plans to study outside of India does so to return to the nation. Either permanently or for a few years longer in order to get useful professional experience. If you do not have a job waiting for you when you return, gaining some work experience in the country is better.
The post-study employment visa encourages many people to study in Australia. One of the most interesting improvements is the planned introduction of a post-study Man in a safety vest and jacket survey building a site work visa. This will allow students with Australian degrees to supplement their education by obtaining labour experience in Australia.
The Australian Government is increasing its support for students through a variety of new initiatives, including:
- Permanently extend the stay time for masters by coursework graduates.
- Increase the temporary stay length for Temporary Graduate visa applicants from the VET sector onshore to 24 months.
Australia is well-known as a study abroad location for its ease of access. The continent's continual demand for skilled labour has benefited the education sector, which continues to recruit and retain overseas students while assimilating them into the country's economy. However, as an international student, there are various alternatives. And you'll require a Post Study Work Permit (PSWR). So, what exactly is it, and how can you obtain it?
How Can I Apply for Post Study Work Visa Australia?
- For both streams of Temporary Graduate Visa (subclass 485), you must be in Australia but not in immigration clearance when you applOn a Student Visa, an international student is approved and permitted to study in a foreign country. This visa is only to attend a course or receive vocational training. However, after the course is completed, the visa's validity ends. This might happen right away or after 6 months (according to the Student Visa Guidelines of the country.)
- A student must apply for and get a Work Permit to remain in the nation for job purposes. Students who have finished their studies in Australia are eligible to apply for a Post Study Work Permit or a Temporary Graduate visa (subclass 485). This visa, which replaced the previous Skilled Graduate Visa (subclass 485), went into force in March 2013.
- All post-study employment visas can be applied for online using official sites. Aside from the essential paperwork, keep the following in mind.
- Your visa application is decided by the Australian Government Department of Home Affairs. You must apply for a visa within six months after finishing your study.
- When applying for the Skilled—Recognized Graduate Visa (subclass 476), you can be in or out of Australia. However, you must be outside Australia when the Australian Government Department of Home Affairs decides on your visa application. You must apply for this visa within two years of finishing your program.
You may be eligible to get one of three types of post-study work visas
- The Temporary Graduate visa (subclass 485) Post-Study Work Stream: It is the most common post-study job visa. This visa is intended for international students who have recently graduated with qualifying qualifications from an Australian educational institution, regardless of their field of study. They must apply for this visa within 6 months of completing their study; the stay length ranges from 2 to 4 years, depending on the qualification.
- The Temporary Graduate visa (subclass 485) - Graduate Work Stream: It is for overseas students who have graduated with skills and credentials for jobs on the skilled occupation list. The skills and credentials are generally closely tied to an occupation regarded as being in demand in the Australian labour market in the medium to long term. The term of residence is up to 18 months, and students must apply for this visa within 6 months of their education.
- The Skilled Recognized Graduate Visa (Subclass 476): It is for overseas students who have completed engineering studies at a certain educational institution within the past two years. The stay might last up to 18 months.
When Can I Apply for Post Study Work Visa Australia?
You can apply for this as an international student no later than 6 months after finishing your study. Put another way; you must apply for this visa within 6 months of your studies.
- To be qualified, you must have completed an Australian bachelor's degree, master's degree by coursework, master's degree by research, or doctorate within the six months before applying for the visa.
- Students who have completed courses below the bachelor's degree level are ineligible to qualify for a post-study work visa.
- You must fulfil the Australian study requirement, which states that your course of study must have been completed in Australia (in English) for at least two academic years (92 weeks) and be listed on the Commonwealth Register of Institutions and Courses for Overseas Students (CRICOS).
DIAC has suggested that the post-study employment visa be accessible to students who applied for student visas after November 5, 2011, and who would graduate in early 2013. As a result, DIAC expects to have visa procedures in place for these graduating students by 2013. Please keep in mind that this is still subject to approval.
Post Study Work Visa Australia Eligibility
There are two crucial points to consider while applying for a visa under the 'after study work' route. For starters, students who have finished academic programs that solely result in Diploma degrees are ineligible for the post-study work visa. However, with only a Diploma, you may be eligible for a visa under the 'Graduate Work' route. The post-study employment visa is one of two options for Temporary Graduate Visa holders (or subclass 485). The Graduate Work stream is the alternative option; more information about it may be found here.
Second, the student's eligibility for a post-study work visa is unaffected by their subject area or field of study. It makes no difference if you have a bachelor's, PhD, or Master's in Computer Science, Mechanical Engineering, Professional Accounting, or any other discipline - as long as it is a recognised master's, bachelor's, PhD, or MBA. If your course fits all other requirements, you will still be eligible for the post-study work visa.
- Students who complete a bachelor's or master's degree program will be eligible for a two-year post-study work visa.
- Students who get a research master's degree will be eligible for a three-year post-study employment visa.
- Doctoral students who graduate will be eligible for a four-year post-study work visa.
Because this post-study work visa does not have an occupational list, your field of speciality will not be a determining factor. However, be certain that you are learning at the appropriate levels.
- You must hold a degree from a CRICOS-registered program.
- This visa does not need a skills assessment.
- You must meet the English language competence standards.
What To Do After The Post-Study Work Visa in Australia Ends?
On a Student Visa, an international student is approved and permitted to study in a foreign country. This visa is only to attend a course or receive vocational training. However, after the course is completed, the visa's validity ends. This might happen right away or after 6 months (according to the Student Visa Guidelines of the country.)
A student must apply for and get a Work Permit to remain in the nation for job purposes. Students who have finished their studies in Australia are eligible to apply for a Post Study Work Permit or a Temporary Graduate visa (subclass 485). This visa, which replaced the previous Skilled Graduate Visa (subclass 485), went into force in March 2013.
There are many types of Australia Post Study Work Permits.
There are two streams or categories of the Temporary Graduate Visa (subclass 485). The first is the Graduate Work Stream, while the second is the Post Study Work Stream. The primary distinction between the two is the type of qualification obtained by an overseas student.
Work Stream for Graduates
International students who have completed the Australian Study Requirements and have an approved qualification and skills relevant to professions listed on the Skills Occupation List are eligible for the Graduate Work Stream (SOL). This would mainly apply to students applying for a Vocational Education and Training qualification and a TAFE institute. This visa is valid for 18 months.
Work Stream After Study
On the other hand, a Post Study Work Stream is for overseas students who have fulfilled the Australian Study Requirements and obtained a bachelor's, master's, or doctorate degree from an accredited Australian university. This visa is only accessible to students who applied for and were granted an Australian visa on or after November 5, 2011. The length of your tenure is determined by the type of degree you possess.
A bachelor's degree, a bachelor's honours degree, or a master's course degree (a degree without a related industrial training) is valid for two years, for example. A master's with a Research degree qualifies you for a Temporary Visa for up to three years, while a Doctoral Degree qualifies you for a four-year Temporary Visa.
Do I Need A Sponsor For The Australia Post-Study Work Visa?
Yes, Through sponsorship, your manager will serve as your employer and grant you a job contract that will allow you to remain in Australia and connect your stay to a work visa. You now qualify for a sponsorship visa as a result. Following the Australian labour market requirements, the listings are updated every six months.
Currently, the Sponsorship Visa is known as the Temporary Skills Shortage Visa (TSS). This visa has two streams—one short term and one long term—and allows you to tie your time in Australia to a contract for temporary employment.
List of Short-Term Skilled Jobs (STSOL)
If your line of work is on this list, you can obtain a sponsor for two years, with the option of renewing for an additional two years. Keep in mind that this does not always result in a lengthy stay. There are roughly 270 jobs in STSOL.
List of Medium and Long-Term Strategic Skills (MLTSSL)
The occupations on this list are the most in-demand in Australia and will qualify you for a Sponsorship Visa that lasts up to four years. After three years, you may apply for permanent residency in Australia by renewing this many times. There are around 180 occupations on this list.
Immigration consultants in Australia can assist you in applying for this visa support AECC. Get in touch with a free consultation by AECC.