Scholarships to Study in Canada
Canada has some of the best universities which are top-ranked. They offer exemplary education and great courses but it can be expensive. Scholarships will aid you and support you through your academic year. There are scholarships that are aimed at certain students like women or region based. It is important to apply for these scholarships at the earliest.
How to apply for a scholarship in Canada?
Students must be eligible for the scholarship they are applying for. There are no ideal eligibility criteria for scholarships but one of the essential aspects taken into consideration is academic performance. There are international scholarships to study in Canada offered by institutions, government, and non-governmental organizations. Want to pursue higher studies in Canada with scholarship? Contact AECC Global and our educational counsellor will guide you through the application process.
The International Scholarships in Canada for Sri Lankan Students are:
1. Canadian Commonwealth Scholarship and Fellowship Plan
- These fully-funded scholarships for masters in Canada find candidates with exceptional intellect from Commonwealth countries who are applying to advanced study and research programmes at the Master and Ph.D. levels.
- The grant includes airfare, a living allowance, and tuition expenses. It includes Graduate Student Exchange Programs (GSEP), which pay $10,000 for transportation, living expenses, and other expenditures in Canada for 5-6 months.
2. Ontario Graduate Scholarship Program
- This scholarship is for graduate students in a wide variety of disciplines. The eligibility criteria are must accept an offer from an Ontario university and receive a valid study permit before applying.
- The scholarship is valued at $5,000 each session. As a result, you could receive $10,000 (for two consecutive sessions) or $15,000 (for one session) (three consecutive sessions).
- Overall, the unit will limit itself to one-third of the total award amount to be earned by the student.
3. National Research Council of Canada (NRCC)
- It is a research associateship granted to students possessing master’s degree engineering and PhD holders in natural science or engineering disciplines.
4. Quebec Provincial Government Scholarship
- This is a government-funded scholarship for students wishing to study in Quebec.
- They provide financial assistance to students at master’s level or above and are merit-based.
- They offer $25,000 a year and up to 3 years with a possible extension to it of 12 months for a doctoral degree. They offer postdoctoral scholarships up to $35,000 for one year and Short-term research or professional development scholarship up to $3,000 each month for 4 months.
5. Ontario Trillium Scholarship
- It was first started in November 2010 that PhD candidates from all around the world will be able to study in Ontario. Each scholarship is worth $40,000 per year and is renewable for up to four years. Each year, 75 scholarships are given out.
- Ontario universities are responsible for selecting and giving international PhD candidates scholarships based on excellence and programme criteria.
6. Partnership Grants by Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council of Canada
- It is offered to PhD candidates to encourage new or existing research initiatives in social sciences and humanities. They grant up to CAD 20,000 for 4-7 years.
7. Shastri Research Student Fellowship
- It provides fellowships at several levels, ranging from graduate to post-doctoral, as well as research and training fellowships.
- The Shastri Research Student Fellowship is intended for students participating in Bachelors, Masters, or M.Phil degree programmes at recognised Sri Lankan universities or institutions who wish to conduct research in their chosen fields at a Canadian university.
- It awards CAD 500-1,000 (expenses not covered by the applicant's home institution, such as subscriptions to online meeting software, internet connections, phone bills, affiliation fees, or registration fees to access library or lab facilities, which would be considered, if applicable).
8. Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships
- Government scholarship awarded to international students willing to pursue a doctoral degree at a Canadian institution.
- It awards 50,000 CAD annually and duration for 3 years.
- Duration is for 3 years (non-renewable) and the amount is per year.