Job Opportunities In Australia For Software Engineers
There are many reasons to consider moving to Australia as a software engineer. The country offers an excellent quality of life, a diverse range of job opportunities, and is a place of some of the world's leading tech companies. For starters, the country is home to many world-class companies in the tech industry, including Atlassian, Canva, and Envato. Additionally, Australia boasts a strong economy and a relaxed lifestyle perfect for those looking to enjoy an excellent work-life balance.
So, many opportunities are available for software engineers in Australia. So if you're looking for an exciting and rewarding career in the tech industry, Australia is worth considering.
How Much Does a Software Engineer Earn in Australia?
There is a great scope for software engineers in Australia. Your earnings depend on your experience, your working time, the company in which you are working, and the commissions and bonuses offered by your company. One thing that also matters is the location of your company. Those who live and work in major metropolitan areas earn more than those working in small towns or rural areas.
A software engineer can earn between $68,000 to $165,000 per year. But this depends on the factors mentioned above and differs based on personal circumstances.
Overall, there is a high demand for qualified software engineers in Australia. Software engineers' earning potential is more than any other engineering discipline. As the demand for highly qualified software engineers increases, their salaries are likely to rise.
Work While you Study in Australia as a Software Engineer
Australia is an enormous place to live and study software engineering. In Australia, You may have an opportunity to work part-time during your studies. Working while studying will give you a competitive edge as most companies prefer graduates with international experience. You will get a chance to work with the leading tech companies.
You can get a lot of knowledge and hands-on experience through internships and part-time work. Working while you study also gives you a chance to interact with new people and increase your network along with money.
However, it's vital to ensure that you don't let your work commitments interfere with your studies.
If you're considering working while you study, here are a few things to keep in mind.
- Firstly, you'll need to apply for a student visa, which will allow you to work up to 40 hours per fifteen days during the semester and unlimited hours during breaks.
- Secondly, you'll need to find a job that fits your study schedule. This may mean working weekends or evenings, but it's crucial to ensure that you still have time to attend classes and complete assignments.
- Finally, you'll need to be prepared for the possibility that you may need to sacrifice some social activities to make time for work and study.
If you're willing for the hard work, working while you study can be a great way to gain experience, earn some side money and still get your degree. However, it's essential to make sure that you manage your time effectively and don't let your work commitments interfere with your studies.
Eligibility Criteria for Software Engineers Working in Australia
Some eligibility criteria for software engineers
- You should have a bachelor's in software engineering or computer science. Some employers also require a postgraduate degree.
- You must pass an English proficiency exam, i.e., IELTS or TOEFL.
- A work permit if you are a foreign national
- In terms of experience, Most Australian companies require a few years of experience in the relevant field. But there are also some entry-level jobs for fresh graduates.
- A solid and impactful resume and cover letter including all your qualifications and experience with a killer portfolio
So, suppose you are thinking of working as a software engineer in Australia. In that case, you should keep in mind that hiring a software engineer in Australia is a highly competitive process. Therefore, you should have to prove yourself through your knowledge, skills, and technical expertise that you are a good fit for that role. Some employers give a high value to teamwork and other interpersonal skills. So, you should also keep these things in mind and demonstrate these qualities during your interview.
Jobs in Australia for Software Engineers: How to Find Them?
Suppose you are a software engineer and want to work in Australia. There is good news for you!
Many opportunities exist in Australia for IT professionals and high demand for software engineers. As every business is adopting new technologies, the need for software professionals is also increasing. Here are some ways you can find Jobs:
- You can go to online job boards and classified websites to search for jobs related to your skillset. Indeed, Glassdoor and LinkedIn are good options to start your career searching.
- You can contact a recruitment agency. These agencies are known to place software engineers in jobs. These agencies have access to many job openings, which can help you land a job in your field.
- Another great option is networking with other professionals, business owners, and software engineers. Attend meetups, industry events, and conferences and build a network of like-minded people. Also, build networks with professionals online, such as on LinkedIn. You can ask them that you are looking for work, and they may refer you to a potential employer.
- Maintain an up-to-date CV and tailor it to each job application.
You can easily find a great software engineering job in Australia with little effort.
How you can Become a Software Engineer in Australia
Software engineering is a highly growing field in Australia, and there are enormous opportunities for these professionals. If you wish to become a software engineer, you can follow the steps below:
- Firstly, you need to have a bachelor's degree in computer science or software engineering from an accredited institution.
- Secondly, you can take a short course or join Bootcamp. But this will give you the knowledge of fundamentals.
- Australian Computer Society offers different courses and certifications to upskill your knowledge and skills.
- Then, you'll need to gain experience through internships while studying or entry-level jobs. It will help in your job opportunities after your graduation.
- Try developing and polishing your skills and experience through some side jobs, workshops, and projects. It will help you in making your portfolio.
Whichever route you take, it is essential to have strong problem-solving skills and experience with various programming languages. With the required qualifications and experience, you can start your career as a software engineer in Australia.
Average Salary for Software Engineer in Australia
In Australia, the average salary for a software engineer is $68,000 per year. The average salary for a senior software engineer is $115,000 per year. The average salary for a lead software professional is $130,000 per year.
This figure is based on the salaries of software engineers across a range of industries, with the highest wages being earned in the IT and finance sectors.
While the average salary is high, it is worth noting that there is a significant amount of variation in earnings, with some software engineers earning much more than the average while others earn less.
Top Software Engineer Recruiters in Australia
Suppose you're a professional software engineer looking for a new job in Australia. In that case, you'll want to know which recruiters are the most active in your field. LinkedIn's 2019 Recruiter Nation Report ranks the top 25 recruiters in Australia based on activity in the software engineering field. While many leading recruiters are large, multinational firms, some smaller specialist agencies know the software engineering market. Whatever type of company you're looking for, there's sure to be a recruiter on this list that can help you find your ideal role.
So, here are the top software engineer recruiters in Australia without further ado.
1. Robert Walters
3. Michael Page
6. Finite IT Recruitment Solutions
8. Clicks IT Recruitment
9. Paxus Australia
10. Chandler Macleod Group Limited
11. Aquent, LLC
12. Experis AU
13. Ignite specialist recruitment
15. GForce Employment Solutions
16. The Next Step
17. Talent International
18. Design & Build Recruitment
19. Programmed Professionals
20. Latitude Financial Services
21. Net2Source Inc
How to Apply for Jobs in Australia?
Although applying for jobs in Australia may vary depending on the position and employer, some general tips can help you be successful.
- First, research the company and the role you are applying for, and ensure that your qualifications and experience match the requirements.
- Next, build a personalised resume and cover letter for each job, highlighting your most relevant skills and accomplishments.
- Finally, don't forget to follow up after submitting your application. Sending a thank-you note or email demonstrates your interest in the position.
By following these tips, you will increase your chances of getting hired for a job in Australia.
Still unclear about anything? Well, not to worry. Contact AECC Global and get your queries answered today! AECC Global is one of the world's leading educational consultancies with versatile expert professionals who are ready to help you with any queries you may have. Contact us so we can be of assistance to you in your journey of fulfilling your dream.